With our Road Trip to Salt Lake City complete, and our Trip to Europe Looming, it was our birthdays! Stephanie and I both have birthdays in January so we always like to celebrate them with an experience. Typically we go to a show or go to a really nice dinner, but this year we settled on a trip. I wanted take the inaugural flight of United’s 787-10 from Newark to LA. While Stephanie had been dying to go back to New York. With the inaugural flight falling in January it seemed like fate. A birthday present for each of us.
Typically this is the section where I explain the great deal I got on this trip, however, booking this flight wasn’t about the deal it was about the experience. Stephanie’s round trip flight from Seattle to New York ran us $254 round trip. This is a decent price, but not exceptional. Typically, If you wait for a sale you can find a round trip flight to new york for about $197 R/T. My booking was a bit more complicated. I was flying to new york, then on the United flight to Los Angeles, and finally back home to Seattle. I booked this as 3 one way flights. SeaTac to JFK on Alaska ($119); Newark to LAX ($181…ouch); and LAX to Seattle to Los Angeles on Alaska ($68). Again not bad prices, but this was for the experience.
- Flight: Alaska Economy Seattle to JFK
- Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn New York Midtown
- New York City — Day 1
- New York City — Day 2
- New York City — Day 3
- Russ & Daughters
- A return to mood!
- Cafe China
- Flight: United Airlines Inaugural 787-10 flight Basic Economy EWR to LAX
- A day at LAX with my Priority Pass
- Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse
- Rock & Brews: Priority Pass Restaurant
- Korean Airlines Lounge
- PF Changs: Priority Pass Restaurant
- Alaska Airlines Lounge
- Flight: Alaska Airlines Economy on a former Virgin America plane: LAX to SEA